"The Ride" Store. Shirts, hats and more!

"The Ride" Store.  Shirts, hats and more!
Get your "Ride" Shirts and Hats while they last! All profits will be donated. Click on the banner above.

Friday, September 26, 2008

To Salt Lake City and through Nevada, (American Journey)



I left Yellowstone having ridden 3,307 miles on this trip. I crossed the Continental Divide and headed into Idaho. Idaho is not just potatoes. I didn't stop there except for maybe gas but it seemed like a beautiful state. Potato farms, mountains and then it looked more like a desert as you head into Utah.



Potato farm and truck.


I stopped and had lunch in a roadside place on a reservation. Good food but a "greasy spoon" for sure!

As I approached Salt Lake City I couldn't believed what looked like dense smog. It made LA look like the fresh air in Lake Placid. However as I got more into it I noticed it was a sand storm. Wild how it was blowing up and virtually obscuring the view of the mountains.

Then it cleared up again as I rode out of it.

I was pretty road weary having been on the road for over 3,600 miles in the past 2 weeks. So I hung out there for a couple days with my friend Dash in Salt Lake City. Dash is the owner of Parallel HR Solutions, Inc. A human Resource and staffing company. http://www.parallelhr.com/ But I thought he could be mayor (if it weren't for his liberal positions...lol), because everywhere we went, day or night, he knew people.

Dash, Me, Jerry

There is a great farmers market there on weekend where people sell all kinds of cool things and many of them homemade. I tasted the best pancakes and syrup I ever had in my life.

Salt Lake was a fun time. The city is very clean, had lots to do and compared to the east coast there was plenty of room, it wasn't to congested. Thanks for your hospitality Mike!







Then I headed through Nevada toward Reno.





Bonneville Salt Flats, the site of World Land-Speed Record Runs. Can you believe all this salt??? Crazy! This is also the area where the first transcontinental telephone line was completed.






7 comments:

Unknown said...

Once again amazing photo's. I like one with you on the red bike.. Glad you had some good pancakes. Is that on the diet? hee hee. Have a blast kiddo!! So, do you miss your bed yet??? LOL

Anonymous said...

Those salt flats are amazing! You must have really enjoyed those pancakes, I know how much you love them! Nice bike!?? I was wondering the same thing as Mel, you must miss your own bed by now!! Looking forward to the next blog! have fun.
XO

Unknown said...

Susan I wonder how he is dealing with the remote controls??? hee hee.

Anonymous said...

Lol Mel!!! I wonder if he ran out of sanitizer! Just kidding honey:)!! Actually, he has been very dedicated to working on his blog at night, after a day filled with hours on his bike, and sightseeing. Exhausting!! We should all appreciate that he has taken the time to share his trip with us.

The Ride said...

YEAH!!!

Anonymous said...

Come on Ladies, you should both know Frankie James by now!!!He has his bed neatly & might I say compactly stored in one of the side holders on the bike...AND the other side is storing the journey long endless supply of sanitizer and zip lock bags DUH!!! OMG that's it he brought along his own universal remote control with the manual so he can program all make & model tvs... Remote problem solved!!! Oh btw he's been on LOCK DOWN the whole time!!! ;)

The Ride said...

LOL!!! All true Deana, except the "lock down" part!