"The Ride" Store. Shirts, hats and more!

"The Ride" Store.  Shirts, hats and more!
Get your "Ride" Shirts and Hats while they last! All profits will be donated. Click on the banner above.

Friday, September 19, 2008

Wisconsin through Minnesota, (American Journey).

While in Wisconsin the clouds keep coming in and threatening rain. I wanted to get moving and get as far west as I can before the heavy rain started. It seems that most of the country is covered with clouds and rain.

Wisconsin is dairy country. Lots of farms and cows. I met a distributor for Carr Valley Cheese at a local store. He gave me some Cheddar that was made fresh that morning, in fact it was still cooling. Can't get it much fresher then that. Thanks for the cheese and beef jerky Pal.

I road out of Wisconsin and crossed the Mississippi into Minnesota.



Minnesota was a challenging part of the ride. First the rain had started. Then as I was doing 75 mph approaching a construction zone I started to get ready to downshift. As I moved my foot to the running board it didn't feel right. My foot wouldn't fit on the board. I looked down and saw the whole shift assembly hanging off the bike resting on the board. I guided the bike without shifting between some construction cones and to a stop. After all, it is a Harley! Those of you who ride know what I'm saying...lol.

I called a local Harley dealer to come get the bike and get me back on the road. The whole shift shaft, lever, etc...were worn down and starting to strip. I had to stay the night to get the bike fixed the next morning. I want to thank Scott and all the guys at Rochester Harley for checking out the bike and doing a good job getting me back on the road.


I've been meeting alot of good folks out on the road. You have seen some pictures of them and you will continue to see them in the blogs. A shout out to my friend over in Rochester.



The sky started to look like it did in the movie Twister. There were tornado warnings in the area. It felt like you were standing in a basement with a very low ceiling.


I thought I saw alot of corn in Ohio and Indiana. I didn't see anything until I got to Minnesota. I rode through a nearly 200 mile long sea of corn and soybeans as far as the eye can see, literally. The governor of this state, Tim Pawlenty, has made Minnesota a leader in energy reform. Not only is the state growing corn for ethanol but I saw dozens upon dozens of windmills in the east and western parts of the state. The windmills are in the corn fields. So they are taking up a relatively small amount of space where crops are planted all around them. They are providing a clean, cheap and endless source of energy. Without the dependence on forging supplies. Way to go!

4 comments:

AJPnet said...

Hi Frank:
Saw your article in the Community Life, and think you are doing a wonderful thing for a great cause. Love the pictures of you and the people you are meeting along the way. Great looking Harley you have, too. Be careful out there, and have fun. Will check your blog every night to see what's new - I feel like I am along for the ride! I'll post a comment now and then if that's OK with you. Take care.
AJP

The Ride said...

Thanks AJP! Nice to have you along for the ride. I look forward to your comments.

Anonymous said...

I know a great restaurant in Rochester MN. called The Ranch. Maybe you ate there?! LOL

The Ride said...

Yeah. The Ranch was awful! It was the last day before they closed. Top of the line.