"The Ride" Store. Shirts, hats and more!

"The Ride" Store.  Shirts, hats and more!
Get your "Ride" Shirts and Hats while they last! All profits will be donated. Click on the banner above.

Thursday, September 25, 2008

Yellowstone, (American Journey)


Yellowstone is 2.2 million acres. It is full of geysers, hot springs, waterfalls, bison, elk, deer, coyotes, wolves, grizzly and black bear, moose and more. It's just incredible! You can easily spend 4-5 days if you really want to take your time and see everything. Enjoy the pictures!





Now they tell you to stay at least 25 yards from bison and elk because people are gored each year by these wild animals. They tell you to stay at least 100 yards from the bear and wolves...no kidding! They also tell you not to approach any of the animals. But they don't tell you what to do when the animals approach you!!!


Now we have all seen those pictures of the grizzly bears climbing on the cars in Yellowstone. This is what I'm thinking as I go in on the bike. It's just me, no windows to roll up, no doors, no big RV,...just me. They didn't offer any advice for that.



5-10 minutes into the park I come upon a heard of bison. They are on both sides of the road and the one side is looking to join the other side. The mother and calf are approaching the road and the big bull is about to step out onto the road...so I stop. Is this twenty-five yards??? I think so...ok.






After the 2,000 pound bull gets on the road he starts walking up to the RV and cars in front of me. Apparently no one told him about the 25 yard rule!!! I'll have to talk to a Ranger! Anyway this guy decides to slowly walk down the middle of the street. The 4 wheelers are brave with their doors and windows and slowly pass me as I sit on the side of the road waiting for him to move. As he walks down the road I keep pulling up a bit. But now the mother, calf and the rest of the herd start moving out onto the road coming up behind me. Again these animals aren't following the rules. Now I'm trapped between them. So I got to make my move and pass the big guy as he wandered over a few feet. Wave as you go by!

















My room overlooking the park.





Hot springs and thermals.














Old Faithfull.





Petrified Tree.














I took these pix. on foot.


I'm not going to outrun him...time to go!




After this pic. this Coyote passed 20 feet from me while I was on the bike. A concerned guy in a car started shouting to me to take off. Like I'm scared of some little dog looking thing, please....I left.

Elk.



6 comments:

Anonymous said...

All I can say is...... these photos warm my heart & bring a smile to my face :)

Anonymous said...

My friend Veronica, remember her? Well her 3 daughters drove out West with their father this past summer to do some camping. They stayed @ some camping sites out over there. They said it was unbelievable.. And from looking at your pictures truly breath taking!!! I'd REALLY love to get out there one day soon...oh & Mount Rushmore, that's the other place I'd like to visit!!! Beautiful & what amazing backdrops, I can only wish I was the taker of those pics, ONEDAY!! Miss you LOTS & be SAFE!!!! oh and from the looks of some of your other pics try to stay BUG free <3

Anonymous said...

Hey btw, the closest I have ever been to ole faithful was @ Disney's Fort Wilderness Lodge LMAO!!!!! ;)

Kathie said...

Frank this account of your encounter with those animals is priceless~a little bit of a close call there. Glad you made it out of there in one piece!

The Ride said...

Thanks Deana. I'm sure you will get out there soon.

The Ride said...

Thanks Kathie, I am too...lol.